LinkoCare is actively involved in Research and Development internally as well as in collaboration with European and International collaborators. The externally funded international projects in which LinkoCare plays a key role are listed below:
Project 1: Arrest Blindness
Title: Advanced Regenerative and REStorative Therapies to combat corneal BLINDNESS
Call identifier: H2020-PHC-2015-two-stage (Societal challenge, Health, Demographic change and Well-being), 2016-2020
Project No: 667400-1
ARREST BLINDNESS is a consortium of 14 partners across 8 European countries including 5 innovative companies and 9 leading academic centers with expertise in the fields of corneal regeneration in Europe. The main aim of the project is to develop new methods and strategies to repair damaged and non-functioning corneas.
The project is funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement No. 667400-2.
PROJECT 2: NaturaLens®
Title: Development of Bioengineered Natural Contact Lenses for Sight Correction (Myopia, Hyperopia, Presbyopia) in Patients Suffering from Dry Eye.
Project No: 220710
NaturaLens is a novel project mandated to develop bioengineered natural-based, high quality, cost effective and safe bioengineered contact lenses to meet the huge demand of the world population suffering from low vision especially those suffering from dry eye. NaturaLens AB is a pioneer company in bio-innovation and one of the winners of the EIT-Health Wildcard competition supported by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology.
The project is presently funded by the EIT-Health, the European Institute of Innovation and Technology under Grant Agreement No. 220710 NaturaLens.
Relevant Patents, Popular Science Articles, and Publications
4. A composite collagen hydrogel material, an implantable ophthalmic device comprising such material and methods of producing the composite collagen hydrogel material and the implantable ophthalmic device, Inventor: M. Rafat, 2016.
– Granted Swedish Patent no. SE 539 167C2
– Granted European Patent no. & date: 3393534, 2020/01/08
– Granted US Patent, US Patent no. & date: 10568987, 2020/2/25
– Granted China Patent No. 4829844, Application No.: 201680075249.6
– Granted Indian Patent No. 380354 Application No.: 201817026829
– Granted Canadian Patent No. Application No.: 3,009,098
– International Application No.: WO 2017/108794
– PCT Application No.: PCT/EP2016/081928
3. Interpenetrating Networks, and Related Methods and Compositions, PCT/CA2006/001520, IPN: WO 2007/028258 A2, Inventors: Rafat, M. et al.
– Granted Indian patent no. 283641.
2. Vision Enhancing Ophthalmic Devices and Related Methods and Compositions. Pending Patent, PCT/US2005/028723, Inventors: Rafat, M. et al.
1. Ophthalmic Devices and Related Methods and Compositions, Pending Patent, PCT/CA2005/001240, Inventors: Rafat, M. et al.
1. CorVision® (Globally Registered)
2. LinkCor® (Bioengineered Cornea)
3. LinkCell™ (Bioengineered Membranes for Stem Cell Growth)
Popular Science Articles/Presentations (conferences, media, etc.)
Successful clinical trial of LinkoCare’s Bioengineered Corneas (LinkCor) in 10 legally blind patients published in The Times of India:
Mehrdad Rafat wins the Innovation Challenge Award from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) for
Construction and Commercialization of an Implantable Artificial Cornea: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Prizes-Prix/Ica-Pdi/Profiles-Profils_eng.asp?ID=1002
University of Ottawa Research Perspective Magazine, “Bioengineering breakthrough has corneal blindness in its sights”:http://web5.uottawa.ca/www3/fespfgps/research/article11.html
Central European Biotechnology Portal, an Interview on Challenges in Tissue Engineering:
Linköping University’s Innovation Office (InnovationskontorEtt), LIU spinoff “LinkoCare Offers New Hope”:
The Canadian Chapter of the Controlled Release Society (cc-CRS), interview feature with Canadian authors of outstanding work in the field of Drug Delivery and Controlled Release: http://www.cc-crs.com/rafat.htm
Peer-Reviewed Journal articles and book chapters
Peer-Reviewed Original Articles In High Impact Journals.