Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Rafat, Koulikovska et al., (2015) Enhanced Regeneration of Corneal Tissue Via a Bioengineered Collagen Construct Implanted by a Nondisruptive Surgical Technique, Tissue Engineering Part A, TISSUE ENGINEERING: Part A, Volume 21, Numbers 5 and 6, 2015 (Impact Factor= 4.254).
- Rafat et al. (2008). PEG-Stabilized Carbodiimide Crosslinked Collagen-Chitosan Hydrogels for Corneal Tissue Engineering. Biomaterials, 29: 3960–3972. (Impact Factor =7.604)
- Merrett, Rafat, et al., (2012) Collagen Type I: A Promising Scaffold Material for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, A chapter contribution to the edited collection (book) entitled: Type I Collagen: Biological Functions, Synthesis and Medicinal Applications, Published by Nova Science Publishers, Inc., July 2012.
- Rafat et al., (2010), Artificial Cornea, Ocular Surface, Encyclopaedia of the Eye, Elsevier, (2010) Vol.1 A-C, Page 128-134.
- Fagerholm et al., (2010), A Biosynthetic Alternative to Human Donor Tissue for Inducing Corneal Regeneration: 24-Month Follow-Up of a Phase 1 Clinical Study, Science Translational, 25 August 2010:Vol. 2, Issue 46, p. 46ra61; DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3001022A
- Rafat et al. (2009). Surface modification of collagen based artificial cornea for reduced endothelialization. J. Biomed. Mater. Res.- Part A 88: 755-768.
- Hackett, Rafat et al., (2009) Biomaterials for Enhancing Corneas and Spinal Cord Regeneration, Stem Cells: Basics and Applications, Eds. K.D. Deb, S.M. Totey, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, India, ISBN: 978-0-07-015271-1, 2009.
- McLaughlin, Rafat et al. (2008). Regeneration of Corneal Cells and Nerves in an Implanted Collagen Corneal Substitute, Cornea, 27: 580–589.
- Rafat et al. (2007). Surface Modification and Characterization of Artificial Cornea for Enhanced Epithelialization. J. Appl. Polymer Sci. 106: 2056–2064.
- Interpenetrating Networks, and Related Methods and Compositions, Pending Patent, PCT/CA2006/001520, IPN: WO 2007/028258 A2, Inventors: Rafat, M. et al.
- Vision Enhancing Ophthalmic Devices and Related Methods and Compositions. Pending Patent, PCT/US2005/028723, Inventors: Rafat et al.
- Ophthalmic Devices and Related Methods and Compositions, Pending Patent, PCT/CA2005/001240, Inventors: Rafat et al.
Popular Science Articles/Presentations (conferences, media, etc.)
- Invited speaker/International faculty, “All India Ophthalmology Conference (AIOC)”, New Delhi/India, 5th & 8th of February 2015.
- Invited speaker/International faculty “18th Gliwice Scientific Meetings”, Gliwice/Poland, 21-22 November 2014.
- Invited speaker/International faculty in “Kera-Con” conference/meeting of Indian corneal, Surgeons, Goa/India, 14th & 15th of December 2013. http://www.keracon2013.com/international-faculty.html
- Linköping University’s Innovation Office (InnovationskontorEtt), LIU spinoff “LinkoCare” Offers New Hope:
- Central European Biotechnology Portal, an Interview on Challenges in Tissue Engineering.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC):
- University of Ottawa Research Perspective Magazine, “Bioengineering breakthrough has corneal blindness in its sights”:
- The Canadian Chapter of the Controlled Release Society (cc-CRS), interview feature with Canadian authors of outstanding work in the field of Drug Delivery and Controlled Release: http://www.cc-crs.com/rafat.htm